« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Friday, October 7

The Gloria Record


One of the first bands that made me love indie music was The Gloria Record (consisting of two members from Mineral), their sound basically blew my mind. There's definitely a later-stage Sunny Day Real Estate influence in the music, as well as Radiohead and R.E.M. I guess you could call it Dream Pop or Chamber Pop, but they don't really fit neatly into any category. Words to describe their music would be atmospheric, sonic, hypnotic, if you love Sigur Ros than I'd definitely give The Gloria Record a try.

Here's a couple sample tracks from their EP:A Lull in Traffic

MP3 The Arctic Cat
MP3 Tired And Uninspired

As a bonus - here's a link to Mac TV Videocast where he just posted Steve Jobs announcement of the U2 Pod (with special guest U2). There's an enjoyable acoustic performance near the end...
posted by Taylor, 10/07/2005 01:37:00 AM | link 3 comments

3 Comments:

Great songs- but just to note, The Gloria Record, while consisting of two Mineral members, weren't "Mineral retitled." I highly recommend the Gloria Record's last album, "Start Here," some really amazing songs on there.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 10/08/2005 04:20:00 AM  
Thanks, I changed it...
And yes, "start here" is a great album also, I love "the immovable motorist"
commented by Blogger Taylor, 10/08/2005 01:21:00 PM  
Yeah The Gloria Record was not even considered in the same sentence with Mineral when they were just coming out. I can't believe people don't talk about them. Either bands at that, who both produced solid records to boot. now I have to search for my copy of Minerals "End-Serenading".

Add a comment


« More -->