« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Tuesday, November 29

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds


I think I might start doing a post every once and a while on classic albums and the songs you might not have heard from them. Today's choice is The Beach Boy's Pet Sounds.

While I'm sure you've heard "Wouldn't It Be Nice", "God Only Knows" (a personal favorite of mine), "Sloop John B", and maybe even "Caroline No," you might not have heard some of the deep cuts like That's Not Me and I'm Waiting For The Day (my personal second favorite from the album). Both contain lush arrangements and multiple harmonies that the later-day Beach Boys were famous for.

Here's the songs:
MP3 Beach Boys - I'm Waiting For The Day
MP3 Beach Boys - That's Not Me
posted by Taylor, 11/29/2005 05:32:00 PM | link 7 comments

7 Comments:

Pet Sounds should be required listening for those who want to understand the music they hear a little bit better. A true classic, excellent post!
commented by Blogger Ivan, 11/30/2005 01:25:00 AM  
Pet Sounds is one of my favorite albums of all time, and I agree with what Ivan commented, it SHOULD be required listening. Well done!

Cheers,
Chad
commented by Blogger Chad, 12/01/2005 12:31:00 AM  
Required listening indeed! Pet Sounds is, quite simply, the best album ever recorded. I've been listening to it for nearly 40 years (ouch!) and it still sounds as fresh today as it did the first time I put the needle to vinyl in 1966. Yes, I DO long for the 'good old days' when the vocals were mixed up front so you could hear the lyrics and every instrument was crystal clear -- which is what Brian delivered. And if you're at all a Pet Sounds fan, don't ignore the rest of the Beach Boys catalog. You'll find hit after hit, but also many beautiful little-known gems. And don't pass up Sunflower, Holland, or Surf's Up just because Brian was too busy doing drugs in his sandbox to go to the studio. Brother Carl knew what he was doing, too, and created some spectacular treats for the ears.

Your idea about revisiting some of the "classics" is a good one and you've shown impeccable taste with your first offering. I look forward to where you go next.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 12/01/2005 04:28:00 AM  
great idea- I am always aware of the big gaps in my knowledge of seminal bands and albums, so thanks! (Sloop John B is my favourite Beach Boys song)
commented by Blogger emma, 12/01/2005 07:05:00 PM  
Awesome post. This album is certainly top ten all-time. Anonymous is correct. This album (remastered or otherwise) sounds as good and relevant as anyhting being released by contemprary artists.
commented by Blogger Eric, 12/02/2005 10:41:00 PM  
"caroline, no" is my fave track of pet sounds. was originally entitled "carol i know" but someone heard it wrong and it stuck. brilliant.
Damn, digging deep in the crates... When is your post on The White Album going to pop up? How about something on that obscure nugget, "Led Zeppelin IV"?
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 12/07/2005 02:17:00 AM  

Add a comment


« More -->