« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Monday, January 2

Classic Albums #2 - Hunky Dory



My first classic albums post about the Beach Boys - Pet Sounds went over very well, so here's a second edition about one of my all-time favorite albums, Hunky Dory from David Bowie.

Hunky Dory was released in 1971. The album is a huge leap from Bowie's previous heavy-metal collection, Man Who Sold The World, and it is folk based with a heavy focus on cabaret piano and "tribute" songs. It's the second biggest selling Bowie album, and its glam-rock underdones and sexual ambiguity set the stage for his best selling album, The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust. Rick Wakeman of Yes called Hunky Dory, "the best collection of great songs on one album ever".

The album has a few very familiar tunes, the obvious choices being: Changes, Life on Mars, and Queen Bitch. It also has some fantastic deep cuts, like the semi-epic "Song for Bob Dylan" and the acoustic-based "The Bewlay Brothers."

MP3 Song For Bob Dylan
MP3 The Bewlay Brothers
posted by Taylor, 1/02/2006 01:07:00 PM | link 4 comments

4 Comments:

Hey...You thought I was gone. Well, I was, but that's what Zoloft is for.

I finished my writing! 123 pages of lush dramedy on its very way to Fox Searchlight right now. I was struggling with the last thirty pages and had a massive depressing setback with my meds. I'm better now. I'm starting something else that makes me happy. You should go check it out.

-Addie (Once known to everyone as the dreadful marshmellow_parade.)

"I don't hate blogs. I hate stupid, pretensious bloggers who call themselves experts and pretend to be great and powerful people...In other words...I hate The Wizard of Oz and Alan Baban equally." -Anon

Oh, and David Bowie makes me smile.
commented by Anonymous Addie, 1/02/2006 08:58:00 PM  
You are a genius! This is an amazing album!
commented by Blogger Sarah, 1/08/2006 08:44:00 PM  
Domin8 MySpace with unique myspace music. Check out www.domin8myspace.com
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/07/2007 04:26:00 AM  
Domin8 MySpace with unique myspace music.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/11/2007 04:48:00 AM  

Add a comment


« More -->