« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Thursday, February 16

Mates of State - Bring It Back



Mates of State has been one of my favorite indie pop bands for quite a while now, so you can imagine how happy I was when I got a hold of their leaked CD, "Bring It Back". I haven't had the album very long but I already see it as a strong contender for album of the year. I loved Team Boo but I think I like this album even more. They've continued along the path they started with the All Day EP by expanding their sound and adding a few more layers. The results are fantastic, they've really outdone themselves.

There's so many great songs but there's some emerging standouts for me. "Beautiful Dreamer" mixes a marching drum beat, Kori's signature organ, and a delicious piano melody sprinkled on top. "Nature and the Wreck" has Kori soloing on piano and vocals and it is absolutely charming. "Punchlines" is a return to the erratic tempo-changing Mates of State that we all know and love. I guarantee the end of the song will have your head bopping.

MP3
Beautiful Dreamer
MP3 Nature and the Wreck
MP3 Punchlines

Make sure to purchase Bring It Back when it comes out on March 21, you won't be disappointed.
posted by Taylor, 2/16/2006 01:42:00 PM | link 4 comments

4 Comments:

Whoa. "Punchlines" is freakin' awesome! Thanks for introducing me to these guys!!!


www.cathedralheat.com
This guy, on the handlebars, it's Ringo ! Ringo Starr !!
commented by Anonymous clem, 2/19/2006 02:14:00 PM  
I'm a big fan of Fraud in the 80's... and included it in a post last week. I agree this album is a fantastically solid contribution to their portfolio.
commented by Blogger Kyle, 2/21/2006 08:03:00 PM  
nice tunes!

cheers,
Gurg

Add a comment


« More -->