« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Wednesday, April 5

Mates of State - Live In Urbana


Mates of State are one of the funnest bands I've had the pleasure of seeing live. They are also one of the most personable bands out there. They set themselves up so close to the audience that if you wanted to reach over and play a few notes on Kori's piano during a song, there'd really be nothing stopping you. They also chatted with the audience about their child, among other things, and took a few requests. But I'm getting ahead of myself, the opening band was Maria Taylor.

I'll be honest, I haven't listened to very much of Maria Taylor's music (other than a couple songs) and she was completely different then I thought. While I expected an indie folk set and no more than a couple back-up members on stage, she had a six-piece band (three guitarists) and completely rocked. My favorite songs were the ones from her upcoming CD, which I'm now highly anticipating. Here's the song they closed the set with:

MP3 Maria Taylor - Song Beneath A Song

Mates of State came up next and they jumped immediately jumped into "Think Long" and "Goods". The audience were also jumping (bad transition, I know), but seriously, people were inventing their own dance moves to go along with the music, which was entertaining in itself. The band played a couple oldies (La'hov, A Duel Will Settle This), but the set was mostly dominated by "Team Boo" and "Bring It Back", which I enjoyed. "For The Actor" turned out to be the unexpected highlight of the set vocally and musically.

The end of their set was marked by appearances by both Maria Taylor's band (who sang backup on "So Many Ways") and Maria Taylor herself to perform "Girls Singing". They ended the night with their fantastic cover of Nico's cover of "These Days". By the end of the concert, I could hardly speak from singing so loud. Definitely one of the funnest concerts of the year so far, make sure to check out the Mates in concert if you can.

MP3 Mates of State - Goods

The Setlist
Much More Pictures

Did I mention we met Jason before the show? Look at the picture below.
posted by Taylor, 4/05/2006 02:15:00 PM | link 1 comments

1 Comments:

You and Jason look like brothers! Seperated at birth, maybe??? Reunited and it feels so goooooood!
commented by Anonymous Zielinski, 4/06/2006 05:25:00 PM  

Add a comment


« More -->