« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Thursday, May 11

Summer Plans: Livin' in a Land Down Under


This summer, I'm going to be living in Australia for two straight months. I'm leaving on May 27th and getting back just in time for the Pitchfork Fest on July 27. Don't panic though, I will continue blogging during the trip (but if you have a package of music to send me do it quick). What am I going to be doing down there you ask? Well, I'll probably be eating alot of Vegemite Sandwiches but also, my Uncle lives in Perth, Australia and I'll be doing a Communications Internship with him (I'm also tagging along with him for a couple of weeks on a trip to Kenya/Uganda).

Music-wise Australia is definitley growing. Architecture in Helsinki, Wolfmother, The Grates, Youth Group, and The Vines are all Australian bands that have done well for themselves recently. Anyone know of any other Australian bands I should check out before heading down there? Anyone live in Perth and know of any good places to see shows? Do the toilets really flush in reverse down there? All questions that should be pondered...

Here's a three songs, a video, and a picture of Nicole Kidman - all courtesy of Australia:

MP3 Men at Work - Land Down Under
MP3 Architecture in Helinski - It'5 (Live on WOXY)
MP3 Youth Group - Skeleton Jar
MOV Wolfmother iPod Commercial
posted by Taylor, 5/11/2006 12:20:00 PM | link 10 comments

10 Comments:

what a fantastic opportunity for you! hope you'll keep the blog up to date from down under.

you should definitely check out the presets, who are really hot, and augie march, another really fine band.
commented by Anonymous mjrc, 5/11/2006 02:04:00 PM  
where is the rest of the WOXY session?
if you have it could i get it?
commented by Blogger Alex, 5/12/2006 12:16:00 AM  
I'm a sydney-sider myself but a lot has been said about Perth becoming a really important place in the arts lately. So you'll probably find a lot of good bands there- as well as fashion and art.

I'd check out Xavier Rudd, theredsunband or Decoder Ring. Hope you have fun and remember, don't put too much vegimite on- just a thin layer will do.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/12/2006 05:29:00 AM  
You have GOT to check out Augie March. They are hands-down the best Australian band.
commented by Blogger Afe, 5/13/2006 01:27:00 AM  
Hey I'm a Sydneysider myself,
I don't know who you know but definetely check out:
Cut Copy
Van She
The Presets
Wolfmother
They are all signed to Modular, the coolest label to be signed to in Oz right now.
I'd also check out Eskimo Joe, End of Fighting and Expatriate. Other aussie bands getting a lot of hype over here are Faker and End of Fashion although they're not my style. That's all I can think of right now! Hope I haven't mentioned too many that you know of! Have fun in Oz...
commented by Anonymous sydney girl, 5/14/2006 12:32:00 AM  
The blogosphere can't get enough of Perth lately...
http://somethingold-somethingnew.blogspot.com/2006/05/perth-1970s-1990s.html
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/14/2006 04:07:00 AM  
And definitely You Am I, the greatest underrated Australian band ever....
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 5/14/2006 06:22:00 AM  
the lucksmiths is like the best australian band ever and like the sweetest ever. if you haven't checked them out - do it.
Perth's Thebarton Theatre is the place to see live bands, but any of the street press (free at most newspaper shops or music stores) will have all the info you need to see some great shows while you're over here. have a great time - wish you could make it to the east coast.
commented by Anonymous smells-like-pure-gasoline, 5/19/2006 05:29:00 AM  
what a small world, i have a relatively small collection of blogs i visit and yours is one of them. I moved to Perth from the UK last year and its been great so far - hope you enjoy it too!
commented by Blogger Kev, 5/26/2006 11:27:00 AM  

Add a comment


« More -->