« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Friday, June 30

Man of Steel, Man of Heart

I saw Superman Returns last night and it was pretty decent. I think the characters were very well acted, but I just don't really see what's exciting about watching a man without any flaws or weaknesses. I'm led to believe that Kryptonite can make Superman die, but without completely spoiling it for you, it really doesn't do much to stop him except for weaken him for a couple minutes. I was also confused at the ending but that's probably because I don't follow the comics. Either way it had some enjoyable visual effects and Kevin Spacey is always fun to watch.

Rhino Records is releasing a compilation of Superman songs (mostly covers) that you might enjoy if your into the mainstream punk/pop scene. I've listened to most of the songs and R.E.M. cover sticks out as a good one, and I'm sure many of you will be interested in The Flaming Lips cover, which is pretty well done. I had high hopes for the Motion City Soundtrack song but unfortunatley it doesn't retain any of the qualities from that I liked from their "I Am The Movie" days. Here's two songs, if you like them go here and order Sounds of Superman:

MP3 Sun/The Academy Is - Superman
MP3 Nightmare of You - Waitin' for Superman

I was suprised that one of my favorite Superman songs, "The Superman" by David Bowie wasn't included. It's one of Bowie's earliest songs and the drumming at the beginning is really unique. I saw the man perform it live and he said something like "I love this song, but I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote the lyrics". Check it out for yourself -

MP3 David Bowie - The Superman

Get The Man Who Sold The World
posted by Taylor, 6/30/2006 09:59:00 AM | link 3 comments

3 Comments:

Superman/Clark Kent has many flaws and weaknesses ...sadly, many of those never appeared in the film. The best Superman stories are comics that have been published in the last 20 years. Check 'em out.
commented by Blogger Ivan, 6/30/2006 02:34:00 AM  
The All Star Superman comic out at the minute is good too. Returning to the ridiculousness that has to surround a character like SUperman because he himself os so out of the ordinary.

Its a pity that the films made from comics are never as good as they should be. I always go into them (and I do pretty much go into all of them) expecting be let down but hoping for some bits that will capture the character or their powers the way they should be
commented by Blogger Ween, 6/30/2006 06:04:00 AM  
they didn't include the Bowie song because it's not actually about Superman, it's actually called The Supermen.

great song though!
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 7/07/2006 10:45:00 AM  

Add a comment


« More -->