« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Saturday, August 19

The Format - Live in Chicago

The Format concert at The Metro turned out to be a great experience and one of the most memorable concerts that I've ever attended. That's not to say it was a perfect night though, it started off with us getting a late start driving up to Chicago and having to wait through some of the worst traffic I've ever experienced (1.5 hour delay, seriously). Because of this we missed Anathallo and only got to see a couple Rainer Maria songs. It did give me and my girlfriend a chance to listen to some of Chicago's finest spanish radio stations though. Once we got there, We had to wade through hundreds of screaming teenage girls but we ended up getting a pretty decent spot, just in time for The Format to start.

The band kicked off with my favorite Format song, "Dog Problems" featuring a couple Anathallians to fill out the trumpet/trombone parts. It made me wonder how they could possibly sustain the momentum throughout the rest of the show, but those guys have as much energy as a border collie on steroids. They went through some of their back catalogue (much to the delight of the group of females around us) before playing "She Doesn't Get It" and "Snails" which both came off very well. Nate introduced most of the new songs and told a bit what they were about ("This song is about a fake one night stand and Duran Duran"). "Tune Out" was a probably the biggest highlight from their early material and it was perfect for a big all-crowd singalong. The band ended the main set with "The Compromise" which had everyone at the show dancing, including myself.

During the encore, they played three Dog Problems songs which was great to see. "Matches" and "I'm Actual" came first and the gradual crescendo of the songs and the triumphant ending in the last minutes was a huge higlight. Not quite as awesome as their last song, though,"Inches and Falling", which had them bring all of Anathallo out to sing and play with them. What a way to end a concert with the anthemic and optimistic lines "I love love, I love being in love, I don't care what it does to me." Overall, very fun show and I strongly suggest yourself catching them if you can.

After the show, I met up with Matt from Anathallo who I knew from this interview and we chatted for a bit. I was really upset that I had missed their show but he assured me that Anathallo would be back in Chicago soon on a tour that I can't tell any details of but I'm highly anticipating (look for the announcement on Tuesday). We also talked about how the tour was going and the infamous Pitchfork review which actually brought the band more good than bad (take that Clell Tickle).

At one point we were looking for Nate from The Format and trying to be discreet about it and I suggested that we distract them by saying "look it's Ben Gibbard" and he said that with this crowd we should say Chris Carrabba instead. Very funny and super nice guy. I ended up meeting Nate briefly and he said he had heard of my blog, which was pretty flattering. All the pictures I took tonight are viewable here, and if you're wondering Matt began the trend of using the peace symbol in every picture.

MP3 The Format - She Doesn't Get It
MP3
Anathallo - Hanasakajijii (Four: A Great Wind, More Ash)

See all the photos from the show at Picture For Kids Who Can't Read Good .
posted by Taylor, 8/19/2006 11:26:00 AM | link 0 comments

0 Comments:

Add a comment


« More -->