« Update Your Bookmarks | New URL - http://musicforants.com/blog | Update Your Links! »

Saturday, August 12

New U2 Songs Surface (Recorded from a beach in France)

I'm not too indie to admit that U2 is one of my favorite bands, even though most of their latest material doesn't really match up to their music from the mid 80's and early 90's. I had no idea that they were working on a new album so soon (especially since their Vertigo Tour isn't even over), but apparantly some French guys had their hand held recorder out at the right time and recorded some new U2 tunes that were playing out of a stereo at Bono's beach house.

There are four songs which have been numbers by the recorders as well as tentative titles by fans. I would describe them as muffled but still very listenable (there's some background sounds also). After hearing these demos, I can say I'm excited to listen to the real versions; they sound like they could blow the last two albums out of the water.

400/Can't You See has a Beatles-esque sound to it. Full strings orchestra and all, it could turn out to be an epic. 402/I Believe just sounds like it has tons of potential. I've heard it compared to Radiohead and I think that this is a fair observation. The melody and the guitar/drum breakdowns sound fantastic. Thanks to U2Exit for providing these two tracks.

MP3 U2 - 400/Can't You See
MP3 U2 - 402/I Believe

I think since these clips are recorded live and in demo form that they are fair game to post, but if anyone representing the band wants to take these tracks down, email me and I'd be more than happy to obligue.
posted by Taylor, 8/12/2006 11:26:00 AM | link 3 comments

3 Comments:

Awesome, thanks for these, U2 my all time favorite band!
commented by Blogger merz, 8/13/2006 07:57:00 PM  
A similar event occurred a few years back with several U2 songs.
commented by Anonymous Anonymous, 8/14/2006 07:44:00 PM  
not so much like Radiohead, more like an updated version of HMTMKMKM. Still sounds real promising though.
commented by Blogger TB, 8/20/2006 10:25:00 AM  

Add a comment


« More -->